Frequently Asked Questions

Families and professional service providers looking for treatment alternatives
lots of questions. To assist you, we have compiled the most frequently asked questions for you as a resource.  If you do not find the information you are seeking, please contact us. We are available to help! You can call us at (888) 629-3471. Or, feel free to use our Get Help Now referral options:

Get Help Now for Families.
Get Help Now for Referring Professionals.


Q. Who can refer to Midwest Center for Youth and Families?

A. Parents, mental health professionals, teachers—or anyone who is involved in the life of a child in need of our services—can call for information, request a tour or a free assessment. Click for more information about our Referrals and Admission Process.

Q. What is the admission process?

A. One of the first things we’ll do is conduct an intake assessment on your very first phone call to us. From there, we may ask you to gather clinical information (see next FAQ question) for us, so we can review that information to make sure we are the best placement option for your child. If, after reviewing your child’s clinical information, we are clinically able to place your child, we then verify all insurance benefits for you. Once those are verified, we then ask families to come to Midwest Center for Youth and Families for a tour. Most times, admission and a tour can be arranged on the same day. The Intake Specialist will coordinate that with you prior to your visit. For more information about our Referrals & Admission Process, Click Here.

Q. What sorts of clinical information do you review?

A. Records from past or current hospitalizations, psychiatric evaluations, psychological evaluation (if applicable), and the child’s Independent Education Plan, if they are receiving special services at school. We may request additional records if necessary–and attempt to review all clinical information within 24 hours of receiving it. For more information about our Referrals & Admission Process, Click Here.

Q. Will Insurance pay for residential DBT services?

A. We accept most insurance coverage. If you are not sure whether or not your insurance will cover our services, please call us and we can help guide you through the process of insurance certification and benefits eligibility. Our intake office can help coach you through requesting benefits from your employer, if applicable. For more information about Treatment Funding, Click Here.

Q. Will Medicaid pay for services?

A. Yes, as long as your child meets Medicaid’s criteria for clinical necessity. Please call and speak with our Intake Department to clarify admission criteria. A case-by-case determination is usually necessary.  For more information about Treatment Funding, Click Here.

Q. Do you have DBT education for Parents?

A. Yes, to help you in the Journey to Wellness with your child, we provide parents access to a Parent DBT Class that will give you new tools and skill sets for parenting and empowering a child with an emotional regulation disorder. To learn more about this opportunity, read our Parent DBT Class Information.

Q. Can I contact someone at Midwest Center for Youth and Families, if I need assistance on the weekend or in the evening?

A. Midwest Center for Youth and Families is a 24-hour operation. Should you need to speak with someone, call us at 1-888-629-3471 for assistance.

Tours, assessments and admissions are usually scheduled during the week, Monday-Friday, 8:00am-4:30pm Central Standard Time (CST). Administrative phone lines are answered daily 8:00am – 9:00pm CST during the week, and 1:00pm – 7:00pm CST during the weekends. In regards to our residential unit phone hours, talk with your child’s therapist about specific calling times to speak with your child.

Q. What is the average length of stay?

A. There is no set length of stay for our residential DBT program. Each youth’s length of stay is determined by their unique strengths, needs and willingness to work through their individualized treatment plan. Additional factors may also impact a child’s length of stay in our program. Managed care programs, used by private insurance and Medicaid, continuously review your child’s progress in treatment and will terminate coverage of the program, dependent upon their assessment of your child meeting clinical necessity and continued stay criteria. To compensate for the variance in a child’s length of stay in our facility, we developed our residential DBT program so that kids can benefit from treatment in as few as 30 days.

Q. Do we use mechanical restraints or seclusions?

A. No. We never use any form of mechanical restraints or seclusion. We do use Bridge Building, a program that is intended to provide for the care, welfare and security of everyone involved in a potential crisis situation.

Q. What kind of aftercare programs are available?

A. Each child is assigned a therapist who will oversee the child’s master treatment plan. The therapist will assist the family in identifying the necessary aftercare programs within the child’s community–so there is a smooth transition for the child and family at the time of discharge.

Q. How do I approach insurance and employer for help in obtaining coverage for my child’s treatment?

If your insurance plan does not cover RTC (residential treatment centers), or has minimal RTC benefits, there are some avenues for assistance you can explore:

  • Contact the person at your employer’s company who is in charge of employee benefits. It is likely to be someone in Personnel, Human Resources or Insurance Benefits.Explain to the person that your child is experiencing behavioral and mental health problems (thoroughly explain what the problems are).
    • Explain that you have found a facility that you truly believe can help you and why.
    • Tell them that your request has been denied by the insurance company (or that the benefit is not enough for the problems your child is experiencing).
    • Mention that this denial or lack of adequate coverage is causing additional stress—and blocking much needed care for you and your child.
    • Ask the person to intervene on your behalf, so that your child “can get the care he/she needs from a facility you trust.” Remind the person that the facility you are requesting has an accredited educational program, maintains all state licensure and The Joint Commission accreditation needed to serve as a preferred provider.
  • You can also write a letter to the director of your employer’s insurance benefits department that contains all the information above.  At the end of the letter, include: “I’ll be coming into your office on ___________ (date) to meet with you regarding this matter. I trust you will do all you can do to help me get the help I need for my child.”
  • When speaking to your insurance provider—after being informed that you have no RTC coverage (or no out-of-network coverage)—you may want to ask the following questions:
    • Can I flex my inpatient hospitalization benefits over to RTC?
    • Can we make an “ad-hoc” provider status?
    • Who can I speak with about an appeal?
    • What levels of care do you cover?
    • What level of care do you suggest?
  • Don’t hesitate to contact our Intake Team for consultation and assistance after speaking to your employer or insurance company. We are available to provide any assistance we can.

Q. Isn’t DBT just used for females with Borderline Personality Disorder?

A. It was originally developed for that population. But we have been using Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) at our facility since 2005. What we have found is that this evidenced-based treatment modality is very effective no matter what the sex or diagnosis of the patient. Click Here for a copy of our informative What is DBT paper.

Q. How do I find out more information about residential care and deciding which place is best for my child?

A. We have compiled resources to assist you on our website. View our resources now.